Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Margo Handbag - Step 11

Step 11 is to attach the lining to the top of the bag - and maybe more!

Well, yeah.  This post shows the finishing steps of my Margo Handbag by Lazy Girl Designs - here.

After attaching the zipper and finishing with topstitching, I laid out the pieces for the next step. The front and back purse body pieces are near me, and the lining pieces are beyond:

I flipped the purse body pieces away from me, aligning the top edges with the lining pieces:

I stitched the top edges together with a 1/4-inch seam allowance:

I opened up the seams, and pressed the seam allowances towards the facing pieces:

Then I topstitched those seams on the lining side:

For the next steps, I had to close the zipper until the zipper pull was near the handles:

I pinned the bottom of the body together, and stitched it:

I pinned that seam open from the right side, and steam pressed it using a scrap of cotton fabric as a pressing cloth 

Where the zipper hung out one side, I pinned the side of the purse together, matching meeting seams. I pinned the zipper over onto itself, before stitching that seam. After that, I cut off most of the excess zipper:

Where the zipper did not hang out, I matched the seams, pinned, and stitched that side:

I pressed all the seams open, and left them to cool with weight on top:

Sometimes I had to fold the purse like origami to get the pressing done, especially when I had a sleeve board inside:

More origami work was required to line up the bottom corners before I stitched them down:

I stitched the ends of the lining seam, leaving an opening for turning:

I carefully pressed this seam open, first one side, then the other:

I  pressed the ends of that seam flat before I matched and stitched the corners:

I turned the purse right side out, opened the zipper, and took out all the basting stitches holding the handles straight:

I matched the edges of the bottom lining seam and stiched it closed using and edge-stitch foot:

After stuffing the lining into the purse, I stitched around the top edge of the purse from the inside to hold the lining to the inside:

Here's a close-up shot of the purse:

But wait, there's more!

There's a purse bottom insert that's designed to fit inside this purse - link here:

I cut two pieces of fabric to a certain size, and pressed one end of each into a hem. Then I pinned them right sides together and stitched the remaining edges:

I turned this right side out, inserted the plastic piece, and stitched the end shut:

I placed this inside the purse to help hold the rectangular shape of the bottom:

Here's the inside of the filled purse, including my Kindle:

There are four outside pockets, and each is a home for stuff like keys, phone, and work badge:

Ta-Dah!

I have more projects in the works, and when I'm done, I will certainly share.

I started this bag on October 29, 2014, and finished it on February 1, 2015.  It's about time!

1 comment:

If you would like to be notified by email when someone replies to your comment, please click the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.