Sunday, September 19, 2010

Yummy Lemon Chicken

I wondered what would be for supper last night. I looked in the refrigerator and saw two thawed chicken breasts, and off to the side, a can of chick peas. I went to food.com, which used to be recipezaar, and entered these two ingredients in the search box. I looked at some of the recipes to get some inspiration.

I tried the special search methods at food.com, but they are not half as good as they search methods that were on recipezaar. But, I have digressed.

DH suggested slicing the chicken a certain way, and I wasn't sure what he meant until he did it. He cut them lengthwise so that there were now four pieces, each about half as thick as the original pieces. I placed them in a large skillet with some olive oil, pushed the pieces around to spread the oil, and proceeded to cook them very slowly. I got the bag of cilantro from the freezer and put some in with the chicken. I added the pulpy juice of two lemons, plus a couple dashes each of turmeric, cumin, and sea salt, and put a lid on it.



About this time, DH made up a rice blend and started it off in the rice cooker. It tastes good with any kind of rice - plain or a rice blend.

The chickpea can was half full, and I rinsed and drained them several times. I also poured about 3 ounces of pimento stuffed olives into a small colander, and rinsed them a few times. These I added to the skillet and covered it to simmer a while, turning the chicken pieces over occasionally.



The house smelled so good!

Here's the finished meal:



Just a heads-up: The juice of two lemons doesn't sound like much, but the lemon flavor is very strong and tart. I like bold flavors, and DH likes spicy flavors. A little diversity in the kitchen is good!

2 comments:

  1. Your dinner looks delicious and thinking...mmm I have some boneless chicken waiting top be cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Mary,,, had to check out the blog and oh my,,,, I really like to cook also. Bingo, two birds one stone theory at work. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when someone replies to your comment, please click the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.