Sunday, March 28, 2010

Slow Sewing Mojo

My sewing mojo has been very low lately. I finally figured out what was holding me back.

I have a UFO (unfinished object) which has been taking up space for several months. It's KwikSew 2675, which is a pull-over, U-neck, darted, short-sleeved top. I cut it out in 2007, and finally started to assemble it at the beginning of February. What was holding me back was the sense that it was not going to fit me.

Today I stitched the shoulder seams, attached the sleeves, and sewed the side seams. When I put it on, I knew that my intuition was correct. The shoulders are too wide and the bust darts are too high.

I went to my sewing room to find what size I had traced and cut. To my surprise, I had cut the shoulders in the smallest size (for KwikSew, that's Extra-Small), and pivoted out for the chest and hips. Furthermore, the pattern calls for 1/4" seams, and I stitched it with 5/8" seams. That tells me that most KwikSew patterns will not fit my small shoulders.

Then I remembered that 2000 I had made a jacket with KwikSew 2089, and it fits me fine. I also traced and cut that pattern starting with size XS through the neck and shoulders.

Since this current project doesn't fit, I am so "over it" and will donate it to a local thrift store. I have another project cut out that I expect to fit. More news on that later.

2 comments:

  1. I posted some more about the RTW sizing thing on my blog post. You're right, it's goofy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your mojo is slow...at least it isn't lost. ;)

    I have been drooling over your picasa album. You have made some awesome things. I've been sewing for my granddaughter this week and need to get busy for myself. You've inspired me. Thanks

    My verification word is press--how funny!!

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified by email when someone replies to your comment, please click the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.