Thursday, February 25, 2010

If You Can't take One Day at a Time, then what?

You know that saying, "Just take it one day at a time." Some people are so busy or stressed that taking things one day at a time is like looking at a mole hill and seeing an entire mountain. You know that "other" saying, "Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill." I digress.

There is another saying that a mountain is conquered but one step at a time. So, if you can't take one day at a time, try one minute at a time. A few months ago I told that to someone who was having a bad time in her life. I have repeated it since. I even found that I can use it to my advantage.

Take a simple trip to the health food store to buy raw nuts. On the way is a certain mini-mart where a delicious iced coffee is available. An acceptable substitute is a bottle of starbucks mocha frappucino. But on my way to the health food store this week, I reminded myself that if I just drive PAST the mini-mart, I might be OK.

I was. OK. I mean that I drove right past that mini-mart and any other vendors of iced coffee.

By taking life one minute at a time, I was able to improve my eating for one minute, one day, and - well, you get the picture.

Iced coffee is one of my weaknesses. By taking one minute to skip that "Bad Food" - and I do mean that in all its implications - I empowered myself by one more minute, one more day, and - well you get the picture.

But you're not going to get a picture of iced coffee ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified by email when someone replies to your comment, please click the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.